Thursday, March 4, 2010
Week 8- Randy Pausch- Achieving our Childhood Dreams
Randy Pausch’s Last Lecture.
I really enjoyed watching this talk. He started by saying the lecture was about how to achieve our dreams and enable the dreams of others. He went through his childhood dreams, and most of it he went and did it. He really is an inspiring guy with a great head on his shoulders. He said, “The inspiration and the permission to dream is huge.”
Experience is what you we get when things didn’t go our way. We can always experience things. He said parents and mentors and such are what let us achieve our dreams. Loyalty is a two way street.
So…how do we get people to help us?
1. You can’t get there by yourself.
2. Tell the truth.
3. Be earnest.
4. Apologize when you are wrong or screw up.
5. Focus on others…not yourself.
6. Show gratitude.
7. Don’t complain; just work harder!
8. Be good at something, it makes you valuable.
9. Find the best in everybody.
10. Be prepared, “luck” is where preparation meets opportunity.
In the end, it’s not about how to achieve your dreams; it’s about how to lead your life. If you lead your life the right way, the karma will take care of itself. The dreams will come to you.